All the world’s a stage, isn’t it?
This is no less true when you’re getting your home ready to sell (by the way, if you’re planning on selling in Spring 2022, you’d best get to stepping). Preparing your home for sale is all about putting it in its best light, about showcasing its awesome while downplaying its weaknesses.
In short, it’s all about STAGING.
Now, there’s certainly some merit hiring someone to stage your home professionally; the money spent will be recouped several times over.
DID YOU KNOW? 95% of staged homes sell in less than a month AND sell for more than homes that aren’t staged? It’s true!
Ready to start? Urban Provision has scads of ideas that you can use to easily and inexpensively turn your house into a showplace. Let’s get that home ready to sell!
First: You have to “break up” with your house. Stop thinking of it as your home and, instead, as a product that’s for sale; think of it as a commodity. Once you detach, you’ll find it easier to get down to the nitty gritty of getting it on the market.
Pack up your kids’ artwork, personal photos, and family heirlooms. Buyers can’t see past your personal knick knacks and get distracted with photos. They end up trying to figure out who you are instead of imagining themselves and THEIR stuff in the home.
Second: De-Clutter. This is one of the single greatest things you can do to get ready. Not only will getting rid of unnecessary stuff make your home look better to the folks looking to buy it, but it’ll give you a leg up on packing to move! So get to it. If you haven’t used it, looked at it, or thought of it in a year or more, get rid of it. Either donate it or throw it away. It’ll be OK. We promise.
Some things to think about:
- Neatly arrange books in bookcases
- Pack up all non essential items, clothing and collectibles
- Clean off everything from the kitchen and bathroom countertops
- Put items used daily in a small box that can be stored in a closet or under a cabinet when not in use.
Third: Clean, clean, clean, clean, CLEAN. One of the least expensive—and most effective—things you can do to get ready is to clean the bejeezus out of your house. If you want to really go to town, hire a cleaning crew to come in and help, but if you’ve got the time, put some elbow grease in and get that place spic n’ span. Ever wonder about those people who clean their baseboards with a little toothbrush? Now’s your time to become one of them.
Places to focus your attention:
- Wash the windows inside and out (consider hiring a window-washing service; you’d be amazed how much of an impact this can have!)
- Remove any cobwebs.
- Polish faucets and mirrors.
- Clean out the refrigerator (yes, buyers *will* look in here and in your cabinets, too).
- Vacuum (and do this every day!)
- Dust furniture, ceiling fan blades, and light fixtures.
- Steam clean carpets and tile flooring.
- Clean and air out any musty-smelling odors. Bad smells will make buyers turn tail and run in a flash!
There is no end to the stuff you can do to get ready, and while it might take a little time, it’s 100% worth it. Think about:
- Arrange food and spices in the cabinets
- Neatly stack dishes
- Hang shirts together, buttoned and faced in the same direction
- Line up shoes
- Hang up fresh towels and make sure they’re neat & straight.
- Patch and paint cracks and holes in walls.
- Fix leaky faucets.
- Fix doors that do not close properly and drawers that jam (WD-40 is your friend!)
- Paint your walls neutral colors, especially if you have flashy or bold colors (see also: WALLPAPER. If you have it, get rid of it.)
- Replace burned out light bulbs with the brightest bulb you can find.
- Replace all worn out bed linens and cover dirty spots on your carpet with area rugs.
Create “Love At First Sight.”
- Paint your front door & faded trim.
- Rent a pressure washer and spray down sidewalks and exterior.
- Keep the sidewalks cleared.
- Mow the lawn, rake leaves, trim bushes & mulch flower beds.
- Plant flowers and/or buy potted plants.
- Make sure your house number is visible from the street.
Remember that you only have one chance to make a first impression. Getting your house ready to sell is easy; it just takes a little time. With a little effort and a great team behind you (Urban Provision has spirit, yes we do!), you’ll be at the settlement table in no time.
Want more tips on getting ready? Urban Provision has a ton! Give us a call & we’ll talk about high-impact things you can do.