Spring has sprung in Austin (even though it’s not officially on the calendar yet). The sun is shining, people are walking around in shirt sleeves, and naked toes in flip-flops are everywhere.
Another sure sign that spring has finally arrived is SXSW (which, if you haven’t heard 1000 times already, kicks off this week!)
Throngs of tech-hungry, party-going geeks will soon be coursing through the city’s streets, soaking up all the Texas they can in just a few short days. And when they’re not learning about new apps and tech goodies, they’re learning about OUR goodies. Boots. Tacos. BBQ. And, of course, BEER.
Texas and beer go hand in hand. Like Jenny & Forrest, we’re like peas and carrots. And Austin is one of the best places in the state to get some quality suds. So if you’re gonna be here for geekdom’s biggest carnival or if you’re just planning on paying us a visit, here’s where you can find a pint that’ll put a big ol’ smile on your thirsty face.
1. Draught House. This place is ALL about the beer. It’s a classic British public house focusing on beer, not the food. Indoor/outdoor seating and all kinds of awesome.
2. Pinthouse Pizza. These folks are Austin locals (which we love). They’re all about the best of the best in beer (they brew their own, too), plus they make hand-crafted pizza. Are there two things that go together better than that?
3. Banger’s Sausage House & Beer Garden. Do we need to say anything more than that? That’s rhetorical, of course, and we will! They’ve got more than 100 beers on draught. Plus sausage! And the legend of Olaf Banger!
4. Whip In. Namaste, y’all! The Whip In is heck to the awesome. Great Indian good and a VAST selection of beers (and yep, they brew their own!) It’s charming and fun and weird. Just like Austin.
5. The Gingerman. A Texas beer stalwart, its Austin location was the pub’s 4th (the original is in Houston). They’ve got 100 brews on tap, inside & outside seating (better to enjoy the Austin warmth by), and if you’re lucky to catch it, some great live music.
6. Black Star Co-Op Pub & Brewery. The world’s first cooperatively owned & managed brew pub, it’s got great beer AND there’s a light rail stop at the back door. Do NOT discount the importance of having transportation at the ready!
7. Easy Tiger. It’s a bake shop. It’s a beer garden. It’s open for 15 of each day’s 24 hours. What’s not to love?
Like Ben Franklin once said, “Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” We think that’s true, and we think that Mr. Franklin (as well as any deities that might be around) would be big fans of Austin and its delicious quaffables.
Welcome to Austin, SXSW-ers! And cheers!